Monday, March 23, 2015

Processing in Progress

I should have started posting about my experience with the Glass Slipper Challenge at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida weeks ago. The fact is, I’ve really been struggling to process the time leading up to the race series, the races themselves, and the aftermath. You wouldn’t think it would be that difficult to write about an amazing adventure that was nearly 3 years in the making, but when things don’t turn out exactly as you imagined them, it changes everything. I can say, with confidence, that pretty much nothing turned out the way I thought would and in some ways, that has been a very good thing.

Let’s go back in time to this past Christmas Eve, I was preparing for our first worship service of the night and explaining how the candles needed to be lit to one of the youth. He would also be carrying in a large brass processional cross. Unfortunately, at some point during the explanation, my left foot got underneath the six foot tall wooden post that holds the cross. Long story short, I broke my third metatarsal right before our 4PM worship service and didn’t tell anyone until I showed my husband my bloody, bruised, and swollen foot about an hour before our 10PM service. He tried to convince me to stay off it, but I had a service to lead and it was Christmas after all, so needless to say, I didn’t rest my foot.

A few days later, as I continued to limp, I wanted to get in some more training miles for Disney, but my foot hurt so much I couldn’t bear to run on it. Riku got me a membership to the YMCA and we used swimming indoors as an alternative to keep up my cardio. Flash forward another week and I’ve got influenza (this year’s vaccine wasn’t super effective and the virus raged through my congregation, so of course I got it and Riku did too - wasn’t it nice of us to share?). About the time I’m better from the flu, I notice that my lungs don’t seem to be rebounding from it and the cough lingers. Long story short, to the doctor I go, and I am diagnosed with asthma. Just two weeks later the lingering flu cough in my asthmatic lungs turns into bronchitis and when I finally get to the doctor (again), it’s started to turn into pneumonia. When I left the doctor’s office with my antibiotic prescription and a refill on my inhaler it was less than 2 weeks until Disney.

The time from Christmas Eve until leaving for the Glass Slipper Challenge was about eight weeks. During those two months I broke a bone in my foot, contracted a strain of influenza, was diagnosed with asthma, and had severe bronchitis that was becoming pneumonia. This, of course, did not include dealing with family, home, or work.

Halfway through this two month period one of my church members suffered a major accident that would, eventually, lead to her death following several weeks of advanced medical care. I felt awful for being upset about not running. I felt guilty for complaining about a broken bone, two weeks with the flu, manageable asthma, etc. My heart ached for her family and friends. This woman was someone I had a unique relationship with - it started rough, but grew into something unexpected. I worried about leaving for Florida when we all knew her time was coming to an end. I wanted to be there as she took her last breaths, but both she, and her family, encouraged me to go, not knowing for sure when things would happen.

The day before I left for Florida was Ash Wednesday. I went to the hospital and made sure my church member got communion, ashes on her forehead, anointing with oil on her body, and as many blessings and prayers as I could give. I wanted to spend as much time as I could because I wasn’t sure if she’d make it until I got back. She smiled as I reminded her what I would be up to for the next few days and when I’d be back. She mouthed, “thank you,” as she drifted off to sleep. I hugged her daughter and let her know that even though I’d be away, I wanted to know what was going on. She agreed, we hugged again, and I returned to church.

A few days later, as I turned off my alarm at the Art of Animation resort in preparation for the Princess Half Marathon, I saw a message on my phone: Mom went to be with Jesus tonight.

And all I could think was: I should have been there.


No comments:

Post a Comment