Friday, April 10, 2015

Pinterest Love and Running Costumes: Part Two

I'm In my previous post about our costuming adventure, I mentioned hailed Pinterest for its collection of costuming ideas and more importantly, tutorials.  My mom's amazing sewing skills gave us beautiful blue sparkle skirts fit for a fish for a fraction of the cost.  When it came time to brainstorm our outfits as Maryland princesses, no sparkle skirt needed - we had our red, black, yellow and white tutus leftover from our Diva Dash days.  We knew our outfit would be a display of our Maryland pride - red shirts emblazoned with custom embroidery, black knee-high compression socks, Maryland flag sleeves and a red headband.

As time passed and the race grew closer, I felt our outfits lacked something.  It was all the appropriate colors and clearly displayed our pride.  We had the tutu and felt like princesses. Our headbands, however, did not seem enough.  In fact, our costume, while unique needed a bit of a Disney touch.  We didn't want to don tiaras or fairy wings, because, let's face it - how would that work? What could bring an even more special and yet, Disney touch to the ensemble? What type of headgear frequented the hundreds of RunDisney costumes and other visitors to the parks? When we picture Disney - who is the first character and most iconic of all? Mickey Mouse. <face palm>

I can still remember my first pair of ears - the traditional black felt cap with plastic ears, Mickey Mouse's face emblazoned on the front and my name embroidered in gold thread across the back.  Since then, I've also owned a headband set with Minnie Mouse's bow and a Santa Minnie hat with ears.  Today's Ears have evolved - there are felt caps and headbands for almost every individual character, princess, hero and villain alike.  I have seen more elaborate headband sets involving glitter, features that light up, or practically rebuild the entire character itself.  There are independent designers on Etsy who can custom create Ears for you as well.  However, given my artsy fartsy background (I have a degree in Art Studio-Art Education) and often shop with the motto, "If I can make it, I don't need to buy it".
the quick sketch I sent Veronica via text
I texted Veronica mid-day about six weeks prior to the race and asked, "what do you think about some Maryland Mickey Ears?"  Her response, "YES!!!" as if I had to ask.  So, I sketched and scoured Pinterest yet again and discovered several tutorials for creating homemade Mickey Ears before settling on A Happy Mum.  Several trips to the Dollar Tree, Michael's, Walmart and AC Moore, I had my supplies in hand:
  • two headbands (Dollar Tree)
  • three sheets regular black felt (Walmart)
  • one sheet black STIFF felt (AC Moore)
  • pack of mixed foam sheets (Dollar Tree)
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks (AC Moore)
  • mini glitter: red, white, black, gold (Walmart, Michael's)
  • Modge Podge (Walmart)
  • roll of wide black satin ribbon (Michael's)
  • bonus materials: two small crab iron on patches and blue glitter (JoAnn Fabrics)
supplies and stencils assembled
Using the tutorial and YouTube video, I began to construct the ears.  This was fairly easy and the hardest part was controlling the hot glue so that it didn't seep out of the edges too much and burn my fingers. As with any hot glue project, I usually have quite a few singed fingers, but I'm getting better.  Once the ears were constructed and dried, I pulled up an image of the Maryland flag and sketched out two ideas for Veronica's approval - to split the flag onto both ears or represent it on each.  After a little discussion regarding the glitter and space available, we decided it'd be best to split the flag between the ears: one ear would be gold and black and the other, red and white.  
Construction begins...
Construction completed and awaiting decoration.
The first stages of glitter and Modge Podge
I grabbed a white colored pencil, sketched the outline onto each ear and began to apply Modge Podge and black glitter.  I would follow suit with the remaining colors and several layers of glitter and Modge Podge. I completed each color individually over several days.  The entire application of glitter and Modge Podge took approximately 4-5 evenings (I was also working full-time). Overall, I applied 4 layers of glitter to each color with the exception of the white glitter, which was more transparent than the rest; this took 6 layers.  Then a final coat of Modge Podge was applied to prevent any leaks.  My kitchen became infested with glitter.

The final layer of Modge Podge dries after TONS of glitter. 
Once the design portion of the Ears was completed, I created a simple black bow by folding the black ribbon and tying it secure following the tutorial.  This was embellished with a handcrafted Maryland Blue Crab by coating a mini-crab iron-on patch using bright blue glitter and Modge Podge.  This last piece was glued onto the final bow and attached using leftover ribbon.  Once complete, I was beyond amazed - using basic arts and craft supplies, a little time and creativity, we would don Maryland Mickey Ears not found elsewhere. 

At the Princess Half-Marathon, we received compliment after compliment from fellow runners and spectators.  We were even asked where we had purchased them. We thanked everyone and grinned knowing we had a unique accessory to our costumes and a great souviner.  As we speak, my Ears are on display on a shelf beside my collection of Cinderella snow globes above my race medals.  They will forever be one of my favorite race costume accessories.
The finished Ears sent with a manadatory Duck Face to V for inspection.
The Maryland Mickey Ears outside of Cinderella Castle! 
What's one item you've created or would love to create for a race costume? 

No comments:

Post a Comment