Monday, January 12, 2015

Just Run, Hon!


It's a little hilly - get over it! 

The Baltimore Half was one of my most challenging and fun races to date.  I signed up to participate as part of the Maryland Double Challenge: run in the Frederick and Baltimore Running Festivals in the same calendar year and pick up a snazzy extra medal.  It has the Maryland Shield on it? It has a crab on it? Yes and yes! Sign me up, baby! Run a race that lets me enjoy the Baltimore Ravens stadium and run through Camden Yards at the finish? YES!!!!
As crazy as I look? Up close - my Baltimore Half and Maryland Double bling! Crabby enough for you?!
Added bonus: the Baltimore medal doubles as a bottle opener. Win! 
One the registration "honeymoon" was over and life happened, I learned the hard way...training is essential.  However, my current schedule has me stuck in a rut that doesn't always allow for conventional training routines.  My husband works overnights and some weekends, my commute is over an hour each way, and we don't own a treadmill. So - I run when I can: random weeknights and on weekends.  Factor in my life as a teacher and two little guys of my own (ages 4 and 2) with my overachiever self taking on leadership roles - time is even more sparse.

My training included runs when I could get them in. I still worked out at home using my PiYo DVDs and yoga videos on YouTube. (I'm totally in love with Yoga with Adrienne these days. She's got a variety of series based on whatever you're looking for - check her out!)  One of the things I've learned as I continue my running journey - strength training and stretching is important.  By supplementing my running with workouts like PiYo and Yoga, I'm ensuring that I still get in some form of regular exercise AND it's reaped extra benefits. I am finding very little pain in my left knee and heel which I struggled with earlier in the year.  

I knew that Baltimore would include hills and tried to incorporate them into some of my longer runs on weekends.  In retrospect (as may revelations usually come), I learned the hillier you train, the better.  Through talks with a friend and fellow runner, I now know of some nearby neighborhoods/communities which are VERY hilly and great practice for Baltimore's own.

Leading up to the race, the communication from the Baltimore Running Festival team was fabulous. As we got closer to race day, the emails were more frequent, extra ones as a result of the potential playoff games for our dear Orioles for a spot in the World Series.  (Sadly, we did not make it.)  Just as the Frederick Running Festival had, the Baltimore released an informative and well-detailed Runner's Handbook outlining the entire event and all policies/procedures.  Given the magnitude of this event: a Kids' Run, 5K, Team Relay, Half and Full, organization was key and well done! With the help of a friend and seasoned runner, I knew where I would park, the start and what to expect throughout the event, from start to finish.

Given the early start time and our commute (we live approximately an hour outside of Baltimore), my fabulous mother came to stay the night before.  The morning of, I woke up at 4:45 and we were out the door by 5:30.  Fueled by a Starbucks treat (shh!), we drove and parked at one of the designated commuter stations that would shuttle us into Camden Yards/Raven Stadium for any bag checks and the walk to our starting corrals. At this point, despite the number of races I had participated, I still hadn't accepted that I was a full-fledged runner and put myself at the back of the pack for the start along with my not-so-good training, or lack thereof.  My goal, per usual - was to finish. 
The view from my corral - Wave #5 
 Behind this smile, a TON of pre-race jitters and "What was I thinking?!"
After a walk from Camden Yards to the starting corrals and several wishes of good luck and kisses from my mom, I headed up the streets to gather with the rest of the individuals running in my wave.  True to form, they began releasing waves only minutes apart until soon, it was our turn to take off from the starting line.  I can't remember their name, but there was a band (one of many along the route) playing at the start and a few moments before 9:00, we were ushered off!
The starting line...let's do this! 
Running through the streets of Baltimore is a surreal experience. Most of my visits to date have been to the Inner Harbor and any driving involves packed roads and traffic.  To run without a car in sight except for those parked...wow.  One of the things I loved the most about the run was how the course continually changed. One minute we would be running uphill past the homes on Baltimore Street, through Clifton Park and around Lake Montebello (a familiar sight from the Baltimore 10-Miler), until finally reaching the end, finishing through Camden Yards.  Throughout the race, spectators lined the course with great enthusiasm, spirit and occasionally treats. Members of the community enjoyed their morning coffee and waved, cheered, rang bells and gave me more momentum than I got from fueling with my GU Gels.

I cannot believe how many people came out for the day's race.  I remember seeing several spectators several times throughout the course.  Running the half-marathon involved joining in with marathon runners after our two-mile mark; running alongside those running a full 26.2 was motivating and had me thinking along the way when I would venture into that distance. Without guaranteed training, a marathon is not happening anytime soon.

I managed to do well with run/walk intervals throughout the first six miles - running 2 miles and walking a few minutes before running again.  As the hills persisted towards the last half, I ended up increasing these intervals to running a mile or half-mile and walking; the last two miles were the biggest challenge.  I began to have cramps in my lower calves, especially my left.  I thought I might not make it towards the end, but seeing my mom waiting for me at the finish in the last half-mile pushed me to keep going and reminded me: never give up.  I wasn't here to PR - I was here to finish.  At a little over 3 hours and 20 minutes, I finished.

Favorite moments: 

  • Signs along the way: "Honey, now that training is over, can we have sex again?"
  • Costumes worn by fellow runners: Buddy the Elf, Super Mario Brothers, a turkey and pilgrim
  • Starting and finishing alongside an expectant mother - proof that with determination and hard work, you can finish what you started and only dreamed about.

Biggest Regrets:

  • Not training properly for the hills and fueling.
  • Not taking enough pictures
  • Not wearing a costume (well, at least a little sparkle).


I did it! Waiting for the train to pick us up and head home.
Overall: I would LOVE to run Baltimore again. I learned a lot along the course on how to best run my next race: hindsight is 20/20.  Train, fuel, dress/appropriate gear, stretching, foam rolling, etc.  I would even love to run it again this coming fall, but it coincides with a three-day weekend we often use to travel to South Carolina for Homecoming Weekend and a chance to visit family members.  Alas, I may see Baltimore again for another half or even full marathon in another year or two.  In the meantime, I'll keep running, hon!



No comments:

Post a Comment