Saturday, January 3, 2015

Frederick Half-Marathon Re-Cap

This post was written shortly after completing my first half-marathon, the Frederick Running Festival on May 4th 2014.  If you had told me that I would be a girl who'd run a half-marathon, you're crazy.  If you told me that I'd be instantaneously hooked and signing up for more, you'd be insane.  But I am...I'm so thankful for so many reasons to have discovered a passion for running and will never look back.

Frederick Half Recap....

Honestly, I am still in awe that the Frederick Half-Marathon is under my belt...if you had asked me a year prior if I thought I was capable, much less, interested in running a half-marathon, I would have responded with..."uh, maybe?" Nevertheless, here I stand today, a half-marathon finisher and just getting started.
To those who are looking to run a half-marathon for the first time or tenth time, the Frederick Half is my ideal race in terms of set-up and organization, course layout and overall vibe.

PRE-RACE:
The race management company sent out information regarding every possible detail from packet pick-up to the runner's guide at least two weeks ahead, with additional emails leading up to race day.  Their guide was beyond comprehensive and outlined details needed for runners as well as spectators, which was great for my husband and mom to know where to go with our two little boys.

Packet pick-up was just as easy and well-organized.  I picked up my packet the day of the race at the Frederick Fairgrounds where both the start/finish of the race is held in addition to the race expo.  There were signs everywhere as well as staff/volunteers to direct you: Step 1: Pick up Packet; Step 2: Expo.  I arrived to the fairgrounds after the Expo opened at 10 and got into a line of over a hundred people, expecting to wait a long time.  To my surprise, the line moved quickly and I entered the first building within five to ten minutes.  Upon entering, with over a dozen tables and twice as many staff, I was able to pick up my packet and head to the Expo within minutes, where I picked up my super cute premium, must-have car magnet, a Bean Band and some GU Gel for race day.
My sweet race premium and Expo goodies!
I ended the night before by feasting on some delicious grub from China Garden, charging my iPod and Garmin, and laying out my race-day gear.  I headed to bed with the best of intentions and hopes of waking up well and rested.  Alas, my nerves got the better of me and I slept mere hours, waking up every thirty to forty-five minutes from two o'clock onward.  

My "Flat Momma" - orange tank, black capris and my Reebok Durarides
RACE DAY:
If getting up early on a Sunday morning isn't difficult enough, factoring in the mess of nerves I was carrying made it all the more of blur...Laying out my outfit and all my gear the night before made it that much easier to get moving.  I threw down maybe two to three sips of coffee and jumped in the car to ride with a friend to the fairgrounds.  We parked (RIGHT NEXT TO THE FAIRGROUNDS - so nice!!!) and made our way to the fairgrounds.  After a necessary stop to the porta-potties and dropping off my bag at the clearly identified Bag Check location, my friend J and I made our way to join the growing crowd of runners and lined up around the pace group for 2:30:00.  I knew that this was faster than I most likely would run, but for my nerves and being our first big race, we preferred to start together, regardless of where we finished.
J and I at the start - ignore our smiles, we were nervous wrecks!
The course itself took us through areas of downtown Frederick, starting at the Fairgrounds, traveling down Patrick Street, around areas of Baker Park and back up East Street to return to the Fairgrounds.  Water stations were set up every mile and half, but spectators and members of the Frederick community came out to support the runners, young and old. Children offering free high fives, a couple giving away cookies at the top of a hill, and an entire cul-de-sac giving out water and bananas around mile 10 were just some of the fun along the way.  For having only trained up to seven miles on my longest run, I was able to run the entire course, stopping to walk through the water stations.  By the time I charged up the last hill towards the finish, I lost it.  My husband, Dennis and my oldest, Zachary were there to cheer me on.  I cried the last tenths of a mile and just couldn't believe what I had accomplished.  And then I wanted to do it all over again. 


Crossing the finish at 2:53:50.
Post Race - all smiles!!

POST RACE:
Staggering towards Dennis, my two boys and my mom, I shakily held up my medal and just grinned from sheer shock.  An assortment of post-race snacks were offered, including the juiciest most delicious oranges.  I knew I needed to eat and all I could repeat for a good ten minutes in response to the question, "where do you want to go," was "food"...we eventually settled on IHOP.  Nothing makes this girl happier than a good old omelet and diner coffee.

Once we got home, I soon discovered how much work my legs had done and treated them to a good soak in the tub, a nap and then an afternoon/evening of relaxing and dread of stairs, toilets and picking up toys after my boys.  By the next day, I was walking better and still can't help but smile when I see my medal hanging.  Race 1 of 3 of the King Crab Challenge - done. Baltimore 10-miler, here I come.
My first "bling" - LOVE the Maryland shield around the border...

No comments:

Post a Comment