Monday, December 1, 2014

Disney Princess Training [finally] Begins!

Last Saturday I had my best friend over for dinner.  This might not seem like much, but to me, it's huge. I have not seen her in the flesh since mid-March.  While I appreciate all that Facebook, Face Time and other social media outlets have to offer, actually being able to interact with her in real-time was exactly what I needed.

As some of you already know, we are registered to run the Disney Glass Slipper Challenge this coming February. What you may not know, is that I have not been sticking to my training schedule as well as I should.  As part of the Glass Slipper Challenge, we are running the Enchanted 10K on Saturday February 21st and the Princess Half-Marathon on Sunday February 22nd.  Running back-to-back races is no simple feat, regardless of distance.  However, when faced with the prospect of earning three medals and running through the parks filled with various characters from our childhood?? Take our money, RunDisney! 

In order to prepare, RunDisney provides training plans designed by Jeff Galloway for all of their races, including the challenge events.  In my registration excitement, I downloaded and printed a copy of the Glass Slipper Challenge training plan which covers 19-weeks and has you running twice weekly for approximately 30-45 minutes, with long runs on the weekend.  Looks easy enough.  However, throw in a full-time job, a long commute, a husband working overnights and two little guys under the age of four and this momma is lucky to even get time or the energy to think about running.  Which, let's face it, sometimes just thinking about running is my exercise for the day.  However, thinking and doing are entirely two different things.  Especially when I should be in week 5 of my training and have barely done anything beyond a few short runs and a 10K.  

Reasons and excuses aside, I know I need to step it up - so Sunday, I did.  It took a kick in the pants from my husband and ignoring the guilt every mom or woman faces: "but, I need to..." and just going out to run.  I ran. I ran and I didn't stop until I hit 3.1.  Three miles...and just a little more. Three miles, three months, three medals.  I've got this - whether I feel like it or not, I've got (to do) this.

What about you? Are you struggling or kicking ass with your own training? Even if you're just working on incorporating more regular running...are you running as much as you're thinking about it? What motivates you to get out the door - do you need a reminder on your Google Calendar or are you like me and need your husband (or whomever) to physically push you out the door sometimes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment