Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Orange You Glad I Run?

If you've been following me on Facebook or have read my race re-caps, you may have noticed a trend among the pictures I post: I wear orange.  Orange is not my favorite color. I've always preferred black, red and purple to orange.  For my southern relatives, orange is the color of the Clemson Tigers and abhorred by their rivals, the Carolina Gamecocks.  My husband is a Clemson fan. My husband loves orange.  BUT - that is not why I wear orange.  I wear orange in honor of his mother, Hollie.

I've never had the opportunity to meet Hollie and unfortunately, never will.  She passed away when my husband was seven years old, after a five-year battle with Multiple Sclerosis.  My husband has several memories of her, but the one that has stuck with him is an early-evening hospital visit when he was four years old.  He remembers running towards his mother, like any other small child and jumping into her arms. Regardless of the sheer amount of pain she was in, she picked him up and held him close and told him she loved him; at that same time, he looked through the hallway window to see the sun setting. When the sun sets, the entire sky is on fire.  Changing from a soft blue to a fiery red-orange.  Orange.

To this day, sunsets are our moments with Hollie and are a huge symbol of love in our family - Dennis and I were married at sunset.  Over time, I learned that orange is the color used in raising awareness of Multiple Sclerosis.  When I decided to register for my first half-marathon, I soon learned that it would take place on May 4th - Hollie's birthday.  Knowing this, I wanted to do something special in honor of her memory.  I decided that I would wear orange - for her and sunsets. In this race and every following, I wear orange for Hollie, for all those who live or have fought MS.  I take pride in knowing that despite my slow pace, I am able to run or walk freely.



Today marks twenty-five years since Hollie has passed. Not a day goes by that she is not missed nor loved by all of us.  For her, and all of the individuals who inspire me, I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment